Friday, April 20, 2007

Seeking the Superlative

We, or at least I, live in a world full of superlatives. They are everywhere, you can't avoid them even if you want to.
I can't even do those stupid myspace surveys half the time anymore, and forget those top eight ones! Because without a doubt they will ask why my #1 is #1, and i don't have an answer. I haven't had a reason in a long time now (this is also why my top 8 is and may always be hidden). But anyways, not getting distracted by the rant that could be myspace... Everyone is running around for the top priority in their life, be it BFF or bf/gf (which these days seems to have the superlative built in, which is also a rant for another time), everyone is looking for those people they know they can count on for anything, anywhere, anytime. Close friends aren't enough, nor good friends or people in your clique or group or whatever. There's always that one labeled "best".
It's silly, yes, but don't think I'm preaching against, because I'm not. In fact, I long to have that sort of security in someone. It's not that my close friends aren't wonderful or supportive, but these days it somehow isn't enough. I don't know why having the label would make me feel any better, in fact i guess it wouldn't, because she currently has the label for lack of someone else, and obviously that doesn't reassure me at all. She can't even bother to keep her simple promises (or even at least know better than to promise things she wont keep), I sure am not going to call her just because i feel sad or lonely.
As selfish as it is, I want to be someone's top priority. I want to be valuable and worthwhile to someone. Right now i feel like i'm stuck in no-man's land or something. More than just an acquaintance, but no one's top. I know it's juvenile and childish but i miss that security.

No comments: